Saturday, May 17, 2008

Peter's Enthusiasm for the Task

Seldom right, but never in doubt. That's how one friend describes himself. I've heard others say it too. That seemed to be the case of Peter. I admire his enthusiasm and willingness to put himself wholly into any task. When I say that was the case of Peter, it may not be that he was seldom right, but when he was wrong, he was wrong with just as much dedication as what he had when he was right.

Take the example of when Jesus washed the disciples' feet. Peter said, "You shall never wash my feet." Then when Jesus said that if he didn't allow Him to wash his feet, he would have no part with Jesus, Peter replied something like, "Well, then, not only my feet, but my hands and my face also!"

We sometimes criticize Peter for taking his eyes off Jesus and sinking when he was walking on the water, but we must remember that Peter was the only one out of the boat.

Dedication? Yes! Let's strive to have it, but when we find we are wrong, let's pour ouselves in the new direction with the same enthusiasm as we had before when we were zealous but misguided.

What do you like best about Peter?

Post your comment at the end of the Week 4 entry.

No comments: