Saturday, August 9, 2008

Baptism

We are having a baptismal service tomorrow afternoon. We have several from church who could be baptized, and we have two other churches joining with us. We do not have a baptistry at church, so in the winter time we have to go to other churches occasionally for baptismal services. Grange Hall has allowed us to do this several times.

While I would really like to have a baptistry at church, I do really like the setting where we have baptisms in a pond. At our house, we have a pond (actually it is large enough to be classified as a lake, albeit a very small lake) where we have baptized may people. I think my dad, who envisioned this lake way before the ravine was ever dammed up, would be very pleased that it has been put to this use.

In some countries, a Christian baptism can be very dangerous to those candidates. They face persecution, and in some cases, perhaps eventually death. Those converts have a radical identification with Christ that puts the average American Christian to shame.

May we move closer and closer to a radical identificatin with Christ!

You are welcome to share your comments by clicking on the word, "comments," below.

2 comments:

sremery said...

Good Morning, I hope your Baptism's went well, we had rain at our house yesterday, but all in all it was a nice day. I love baptism services, they usually preach the message that day. Also, I dont thing we're having our next preachers meeting until the end of Sept. Is that correct?

Rev Ben Eldridge said...

I had the wonderful opportunity to be baptised in the river Jordan a few years back while visiting the Holy Land. Wow what an experience that will forever be dear to my heart. But I am with Randy on this one there are so many that lay their lives on the line for Christ. I am encouraged by their stand that we too can make a stand in our everyday life.