Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Spiritual Dryness

Sean, I am reprinting your comment here to be a help to others:

"I've struggled with spiritual dryness. I think the hardest times to stay close to God is when nothings going on. Its the true test. I would have to say the most obvious time God has shown up big is when I was diagnosed with cancer. I'm glad I'm at a point now that I can look back and see how God can work. I felt close to Him because I was in trouble. But I'm not now, I dont pray to Him like I did then. I was ashamed of this but I believe there's times for that kind of praying and now I pray a little different. I'll find myself thinking about how in the Bible, it gives us stories of some faith heroes. But its not a diary of their everyday life, I'm sure they must have felt spiritual dryness. But when they needed God, He was there. All in all, I'm thankful for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, VBS, Camp Jericho, and Homecoming. These times with church and family help. The other times when trouble comes, I'm resolved with being glad I can go to a God who will be there."

The everyday Christian life is not always on the upswing. Maybe that's partly why we are called disiples--it takes discipline, and dicipline is not always exciting. The fruits, of discipline, however, are very exciting!

No comments: