Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Funeral

I preached my first cousin's funeral today. Her mother married when she (the mother) was fourteen years old, so my cousin and her sister seemed more like aunts to me because they were a little older than I. In fact her older sister is my mother's age, and this cousin is 12 years older than I am.

The Lord often seems to confirm His presence so much during funeral messages. I don't know how that it is for other preachers, but that's how it usually works for me. Before I ever preached a funeral, the thought of doing that was the most fearful and intimidating thing I could think of. However, through the years, the Lord has wonderfully displayed his grace during these occasions.

My cousin found that she had cancer about a week or, at the most, two ago. We had great reason to think that her condition was very serious, but we certainly didn't expect her to go that quickly.

When asked about her relationship with the Lord, she replied, without any hesitation, that she was ready to go.

No comments: