Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Pioneering Ministries

Some of the things we are studying this term relate to Church Growth. One of the things that helps in this area has to do with having a core group of people who have a vision AND a Christian worldview. Where do you get a group of people with a Christian worldview? First of all, such a worldview comes from strong Christian families.

How did we get away from such a worldview in the United States? Many things contributed, but one of those was a move away from prayer and Bible Reading in the Public schools. Yes, I remember such, not so much actual Bible reading, although I'm sure it could have been done, but especially prayer in my grade school. I also remember a teacher in the fifth grade who told us a continuing story each day. Toward the end of that story, there was a happy ending. A boy who had been through all kinds of hardship was reunited with his father. He was afraid at first, but then he found out that he had a "new Dad." Why was that? It was because his Dad had been saved! That was in public school.

In 1963, a great confusion moved upon education, and talk about God--as well as the cherished concept of "academic freedom" began to be removed from the system. That is described in Ben Stein's movie that came out last year. The name of his movie was "Expelled." He basically described how credible evidences for Intelligent Design were being unfairly presented, and suppressed, by the established order.

Where can you get help to restore a Christian worldview? Christian schools can help with this. However, when a young person goes off to a secular university, he often becomes confused because so many things come his way from a non-Christian, and sometimes anti-Christian viewpoint.

Yesterday, I went, along with three other individuals from West Frankfort, IL, to Springfield, IL, to see what would be required to start a Bible school which would move through four phases: Phase 1, Bible School offering certificates; Phase 2, Accredited Bible College offering degrees; Phase 3, (Christian) Liberal Arts College; Phase 4, (Christian) University. The last two phases would be institutions that offered more than religious courses, but from a Christian point of view.

One aspect of my past (and probably present) ministry has been helping new ministries get started. This is sometimes called "pioneering."

The meeting yesterday was very encouraging. I began to feel almost a year ago, that the Lord was going to move my wife an me in a new direction. I knew nothing about this interest in a Bible college in the area until I had already told my church that I was going to resign.

I don't know if much will come of this, but I am willing to lend my experience in the area of pioneering ministries. Would you join with us in prayer about this undertaking?

No comments: